Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What makes me angry...

Given, after a few cups of coffee I am more likely to be angry than after a couple cups of tea. My hypothesis is that when I am amped on coffee, I expect the rest of the world to be amped up as well. When i come across folks that not only seem like they haven't had a dose of coffee, but seem as though they have smoked a few joints, my blood begins to boil when i am trying to get stuff done.

"DON'T MAKE ME ANGRY, YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY!"




Now the reality is that these folks haven't had anyhting to smoke at all, and I don't even think it is fair to pick on pot smokers (after all, some of my best friends are pot smokers ;-). No it is just that everyone moves at their own pace and no matter what kind of carrots you hold out in front of them, they won't budge. Sure they'll get to the carrot and enjoy it, but they still won't turn toward the direction you are looking in. (until something is in it for them). Yes, the cat is out of the bag - what's in it for me!!!

That is the vrai secret. (why the fuck do i keep using french words in my postings?) When working with folks, how do you determine their self interest. Sure it is easy when all they are after is money, but delving deeper, it is rarely ONLY about the money even when it appears that way at first.

I have been taught that everyone is after three things. They want to make money/save money, improve their image in the eyes of others (friends, boss, etc.), or to save time so they can putz around a bit more. Taking those three things in account, why would you possibly be reading this blog? Using the Hulk model, It is probably not going to earn you any money, certainly not going to improve your image, and seeminly is doing the opposite of saving you time. Clearly in this case, there was something else that brought you to this blog so you COULD spend a little time putzing around. The blog in this case is the END. The MEANS could have perhaps been the fact that you completed or are putting off your actual responsibiliites. (gym, food, wife time, work, etc.)

So back to the story... Think about something you did today that you were proud of? In reflection, what was your motivation? You may say, well, i do things cause I really like people and I just want the world to be a happier place. Do you buy that? I wish I did. This seems to be the good 'ol altruism argument all over again and I left that one behind back in Philosophy 101. Right along with vegetarianism, and victimless crimes. Isn't that right AR?

Today, I was mostly pissed off as I mentioned. Too many cups of coffee has sent me into a mental mania where I am most comfortable alone, completing my finite projects and poorly attempting to slow down as I watch the sun lower itself.

I am going to the gym in a few minutes and hope to get through the rest of this aggro behavior. I will drink lots of water and take to deep breathing. By nightfall, I plan on being relaxed. I'll let you know how I do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Skiletsrage said...

First thing you should do is rename your blog. I think "Coffee Blog," or "Caffeine Alley" might be more appropriate.

Secondly, don't ask AR anything if you want a straight answer.

Thirdly, do like me when you're stressed: don't even look at the caller id if the phone rings, pour yourself a nice cocktail, and enjoy your solitude.....or your sickness unto death.

5/02/2006 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does AR get lumped into these things? He's a nice guy who doesn't give always straight answers because reality itself is rarely straight (although it does have a liberal bias).

Tangent - is the Ultimate Entrepreneur going to make it to Mammoth in June?

5/03/2006 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home